PCB printing

Hi Guys

I am trying to order a PCB from www.pcbway.com using the files from repository. While sound quite straightforward, the website ask couple details to begin the ordering.
I have ziped the gerber folder from the repository https://github.com/amchagas/Flypi/tree/master/PCB/flypi_pcb_kicad/gerber containing the .gbr files.
however, the site perform a kind of validation before place the final order, and in that step, the file is not accepted. I got the flowing error:
https://file.pcbway.com/ordershow/17/12/15/073201282t.jpg

and the file fail to audit. Any clue to fix that or I am doing something wrong?

tack
Marcelo

Comments

• I fix it. I used the files found here: https://cdn.hackaday.io/files/5059216444256/gerber.zip
    Those files were easily uploaded at www.pcbway.com , and the validation process was approved. to give an idea, I paid US$ 5.00 for 10 PCB pieces, plus the shipment to Sweden, total US$16. I will never use these 10 plates, if you are in the rush for one, just contact me i can share with you.

• Hi @mmarmelomartelo!
    Sorry to hear you had trouble with the ordering, but good that you found a solution.
    I think your problem was that in that folder there was already a zipped version of the necessary files...

Anyway, in case you are going to order new boards, we recommend you visit the repository we are mostly active on: https://github.com/prometheus-science/Flypi
    There you will find among other things, a new version of the PCB (but don't worry, the version you ordered will work just fine!)

• Hi Guys
    finally I have finish it up my PCB plate. Everything soldered and connected, but nothing working :-(
    The FlyPiApp open, but it get stop freezing and none of button works and even the camera is not getting activate.

I was wondering if there is a kind of test, to evaluated if everything works as should be. for example:
    How should be the voltage in each hub at the end? That could be something interesting to see if the hub is delivering the right voltages.

Another question: The Arduino nano should be tested how?
    in my case, I opened the Arduino GUI and evaluated the data collection in The serial monitor, and the data is being collected.

Last question: in the manual, it is not very clear which hub the cables from temperature sensor should be added. Please see the picture of my PCB

tack for any help

• Hi,
    Sorry to hear that this is not working!
    If you could provide the following information this would be helpful:

• Do you have the latest code from Github? You can find it here: https://github.com/prometheus-science/Flypi Make sure to upload the new code to the Arduino board as well.
    • Also, with this new code, you will need the latest pyserial package, which you can get by going to the terminal and typing: sudo pip3 install --upgrade pyserial

If this doesn't solve the problem, please do the following:

• start the GUI. once it freezes, click on the terminal and press ctrl+C, this should print error messages. if you can, take an image of those and post them here. Thanks!

About the PCB and where the components should go, take a look below:

Let us know how it goes!

pcb.jpg 723.2K
  • Thank you very much for your reply and tips! Thank you for that very dialectical image with the directions of PCB.
    I have updated and upgraded the Pi software, as serial as well following your suggestion (sudo pip3 install --upgrade pyserial).

1. I realized that if I set on only the camera module (1) and all others off (0) in the FlypiApp file, the camera works normally.
    2. once I turn on any other module, the software freezes and even the camera can not be activated anymore.
    3. Surprisingly, if I ^C on terminal, the camera get ON but still not responsive.
    4. I have collected some serial communication data using Arduino IDE , if seems that the data is being collecting (please see the figure).
    5. The port used is /dev/ttyUSB0 (the same one that I can upload sketchs to the board) but we still have another ones /dev/ttyAMA0 and /dev/ttyS0; in the FlypiApp file, the port is set for /dev/ttyUSB0.

Question 1: amchagas, I suppose that we should upload a sketch to our Arduino nano before going ahead, don't we? In that case, which one of these should be uploaded?

fly_pi_development
    flypi_serial_tes
    old_out_of_use
    test_flypi

Question 2: If I used the image from FlyPi from the dropbox folder, the adafruit libraries should be updated as well?

please see the screenshots that got this morning

• Hi!

sorry forgot to specify, you'll need to upload the flypi_development code.
    About the question for the adafruit libraries, I don't think they need to be updated.

I think simply updating the arduino code should solve this issue.

Again, let us know how it goes! ;)

• Also, it seems from your photo that there is one resistor missing on the back side of the PCB. For the version you downloaded, there should be a 10ohm resistor (able to take 17W) in the back of the PCB. Let me know if that is the case. I can send you one!

• @amchagas said:
    Hi!

sorry forgot to specify, you'll need to upload the flypi_development code.
    About the question for the adafruit libraries, I don't think they need to be updated.

I think simply updating the arduino code should solve this issue.

Again, let us know how it goes! ;)

Hi! Now it works! I was uploading the file "flypi_serial_test" for the nano, but now it seems is working properly. At least the camera and the NeoPixel ring, I tested quickly and it seems is working, changing the colors, intensity etc. No freezing anymore. I will test the Peltier module tomorrow, I hope it works.

• @amchagas said:
    Also, it seems from your photo that there is one resistor missing on the back side of the PCB. For the version you downloaded, there should be a 10ohm resistor (able to take 17W) in the back of the PCB. Let me know if that is the case. I can send you one!

Hi , in fact i have ordered this resistor, but I could not find where add it and in the BOM it was listed. I think I was used a old version of the files, which makes the things a bit more complicated, but the good thing is that for a N00b i have learned a lot last 2 months. This resistor is for which module?

thanks a lot

MFM

• null
    Fantastic!
    The resistor is necessary to get the peltier module running.

Post some images you make with it if you can, please?
  • @amchagas said:
    null
    Fantastic!
    The resistor is necessary to get the peltier module running.

Post some images you make with it if you can, please?

Please see below. I will test the peltir modulae right now. later on I will let you know

• Hi Marcelo,

I don't really know what you are trying to show us here, but basicalls the long resisot should go on the back of the board, where there is the single outline drawn.
    it is a bit counter-intuitive, but then again, this has been removed in the newer versions of the board :)

• @amchagas said:
    Hi Marcelo,

I don't really know what you are trying to show us here, but basicalls the long resisot should go on the back of the board, where there is the single outline drawn.
    it is a bit counter-intuitive, but then again, this has been removed in the newer versions of the board :)

Hi, now I got it. This was the reason why my peltier module did not works. In fact I realized now that I was using old version not only for the PCB, but to the BOM as well. I already bought this resistor (super big compared to others), but could not find where add it. Indeed, I was always curious for that 2 holes left in the PCB, and just now realized the function. I will try fix that this week. Please see the image below, I think this is the correct position, isn't? Finally, there any range of volts that should read in the peltier hub when is done?

regards

• yes, this is the right position for it!
    The Peltier module works with 5 and 12V, so depends on where you measure it. (eg temperature sensor is 5V, the peltier itself 12)